Friday, April 17, 2009

Lemon Cornmeal Cake

I don't have my own picture to post because we've already eaten it all up. So yummy!

My new favorite thing is lemon and lime desserts. They're so refreshing! I love a few bites of a rich, chocolate dessert, but it doesn't have the staying power of a tart, sweet, citrucy lemon cake.

This was so easy and pretty, I highly recommend it for your next brunch. I used the leftover crushed blueberry sauce in my oatmeal all this week, too.

Without further ado, I give you Lemon Cornmeal Cake!

I followed the recipe exactly (one exception: I had white cornmeal, not yellow, but it's the same thing, and the barely-yellow color in the resulting cake was so pretty that I'd even recommend white cornmeal if you have it!), although next time I would use less sugar all around, and I'd make less glaze and thin it out more with additional lemon juice.

I recommend juicing an entire two lemons into a bowl, after zesting them both to get the full tablespoon of zest you need for the cake, plus some more for the sauce. Then whatever juice you have leftover from the cake and glaze (I used more than it called for already, and would use even more next time with less sugar for a thinner glaze), just dump the rest into the blueberries and cook it until you have the consistency you want.

The blueberry sauce does great in the fridge for a week, and probably more, but here's betting it won't last that long! Using brown sugar with the blueberries is inspired. And the dark purple texture of the blueberry sauce against the barely-yellow cake and white glaze is so pretty! But not quite too pretty to eat. YUM!

No comments: