Thursday, July 9, 2009

Sloppy Joe

Believe it or not, I had never made this for myself before. As in, from scratch, not from a can. Well, let me say, it's a great crock pot dish for a picnic or outdoor party.

Ingredients:
3.5 lbs lean ground beef
2 onions, diced
2 green bell peppers, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced (or more, to taste)
1 can (12 oz) Contadina tomato paste
1 jar medium salsa (your favorite salsa - mild is fine too, or super hot!)
1/8 c ketchup
1/4 c grainy mustard
1 Tbsp mustard powder (or more, to taste)
1 tsp garlic powder
Freshly ground pepper to taste

Cook onions and bell peppers in a little bit of olive oil until tender.

Add minced garlic & cook for a few more seconds

Add ground beef; continue to cook until beef is done.

Use a slotted spoon to transfer everything from the pan into the crock pot, leaving behind all the liquid fat and other juices.

Add the remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly.

Set your crock pot for whatever length you like (how long until you want to eat dinner?); I did 4 hours.

If your sloppy joe has liquid sitting on top, it's probably from the salsa. Just cock the lid for a while until it cooks off.

Serve on a hamburger bun or your favorite sandwich bread - I used whole wheat sliders (mini hamburger buns), and it was delish! Another serving suggestion: cole slaw, on the side or right on top. Or cheddar cheese. Or whatever you want.

This makes a lot, but it is definitely freeze-able, or good for a big party, or great as leftovers all week long. Also great for re-purposing as a pizza topping, into a casserole, on a baked potato, over pasta (I can vouch for the yumminess of sloppy joe pasta sauce, which I did later in the week)...use your imagination!

I specifically mentioned Contadina tomato paste for two reasons: first, I wanted more than those tiny cans or tubes, and this was the only brand at my supermarket in a bigger can; and second, because of the ingredients: tomatoes. No preservatives, no salt, no spices - the lable says simply, "Ingredients: tomatoes." And that's what I like to see. I can add my own spices, thank you very much! Also, the recipes I looked at all called for lots of ketchup, but I love the richness of tomato paste, so I used it instead and added the salsa for some additional liquid (or my "sloppy joes" would have just been "joes" because they would have been so dry!)

Was the recipe easy to follow? Yup! Another simple one cobbled together from online recipes based on what I thought sounded good.
Did it taste good? It did, and it does! I'm looking forward to leftovers tonight.
Would I make it again? Definitely! Might even branch out with some additional ingredients, like mushrooms (which I forgot to buy, whoops!), or try it with ground turkey instead. Or try a vegan version with chopped-up mushrooms and black beans instead of meat!

No comments: