Thursday, July 30, 2009

Three-cheese Veggie Strata



Ingredients:
- 2/3 stale baguette, sliced
- 1 onion
- 2 chili peppers
- 5 small tomatoes
- 10 mozzarella balls, quartered
- 3 eggs
- 1 C ricotta cheese
- 2 C milk
- Parmesan cheese
- Salt
- Pepper

Here's the story: I had a bunch of stuff I needed to use up. Among these were a partial and very stale baguette, and three eggs that had been hanging out in my fridge too long. Stale bread and eggs spells Strata, so that's what I made!

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees

Butter the bottom of a round, deep 4-quart casserole dish

Slice up the baguette enough to cover the bottom of the casserole dish, then roughly chop the rest into crumbs and dump those in to fill in the holes

Dice up the onion, peppers (remove seeds), and tomatoes and spread it over the bread

Sprinkle with salt & pepper to taste (keep in mind you're adding more s&p later)

Quarter the mozzarella balls and press those into the top

Break eggs into a 4-cup liquid measure and beat them
Add ricotta and mix in with the eggs until smooth
Add salt & pepper to taste
Add milk until the total volume is 4 cups
Stir/beat until smooth
Pour slowly over the stuff in the casserole dish, giving it time to soak in to the bottom

Sprinkle the top with parmesan, and additional salt & pepper if desired
Pop it in the oven, uncovered, for about 70 minutes or until the top is browned, edges are bubbly, and the middle has puffed up a bit
Remove and let sit for ten minutes
Scoop & serve with a big spoon!

I'm quite sure this would do very well as a make-ahead, spending one night in your fridge before baking.

Was the recipe easy to follow? I made it up as I went, so...yeah.
Did it taste good? Goodness, yes. You could pour 3 cheeses and some egg over just about anything and it would taste good.
Would you make it again? This was one of my semi-regular episodes of throwing everything I need to use into a casserole dish (or saute pan, or baking dish, or whatever makes sense for what I have) and calling it dinner. So, probably not exactly this, but I'm sure I'll keep using the same strategy over and over, and strata is often what comes out if we have old bread and eggs on hand! This particular version would have also been great with some additional herbs (basil, maybe?) or some protein (crab or bacon comes to mind, or some sausage).

No comments: